[Standards] Namespaces, specifications, and protocol life cycles

Jehan Jehan.3fh9on at no-mx.jabberforum.org
Tue Sep 9 16:04:32 UTC 2008

Hello,

this is interesting, but does it bring something else than just
psychology (not to make people afraid... which is already a good point,
for sure)?

I am not sure this is really necessary to force the maturity of a
protocol if we have no way to really check it (which means: no real
implementation).

But there is a very interesting point also: currently a feature never
gives its version (as far as I can remember). You only have a version
for core XMPP (in the opening stream tag), but not for the additionnal
features inside the stream.

And I finish by a question for my personal knowledge, because I guess
this has been discussed somewhere: why are the protocol namespaces (
http://www.xmpp.org/registrar/namespaces.html ) in different forms, and
especially the one in the form of an http url (for instance:
"http://jabber.org/protocol/activity" )? Is it just historic for older
XEP? Or another reason?

Jehan

--