[Standards] Namespaces, specifications, and protocol life cycles

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Sep 10 13:04:03 UTC 2008

Dirk Meyer wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Dirk Meyer wrote:
>>
>>> it would be nice to have a list of implementations
>>> that support a specific XEP. A second step would maybe some inter-op
>>> testing. There are two at the summit, but I guess that is not enough.
>> For "major" XMPP technologies we've started documenting that:
>>
>> http://xmpp.org/tech/
>>
>> Much more work is required, however.
>
> Very much work (Pubsub rocks is true but not very helpful).

Well, yeah, those are stub pages, not yet live on the website for the
general public. :)

> Since the
> is a Wiki page for all XEPs, maybe we could use it. Each client or
> server can add itself as "I support this starting from version foo".
>
> I see it is done with BOSH:
> http://wiki.jabber.org/web/Bidirectional-streams_Over_Synchronous_HTTP_(BOSH)_(XEP-0124)

OT: I hate those long URLs.

The thing is, those pages are tied to a particular XEP. If you want to
learn about Jingle, you need to go to 6 different wiki pages. Better, I
think, to have one page about each major technology (however we define
that) so people can understand the various building blocks. Now, maybe
we'd also have a wiki page related to each XEP, but then I wonder how
many developers would bother to visit each page and input the the fact
that their library supports it. There are a lot of XEPs and therefore a
lot of wiki pages. The only wiki page that has this kind of information
right now is the XEP-0124 page, and that's only because I poked one of
our GSoC students about moving some information from his blog to that page.

/psa