[Standards] Best approach for Shared XML editing

Yann Biancheri ybiancheri at wimba.com
Fri Sep 12 09:21:12 UTC 2008

Thanks for all these answerers! I didn't expect so much!
Would it be possible to share with us a newer  version of the
whiteboard XEP. It's currently unclear how a client can join an
ongoing whiteboard session and  how he would synchronize his state
with the current whiteboard. There is a small section on history but
it lacks stanza examples.
We are definitively targeting a server-side implementation of the
whiteboard to helped with synchronization between participants, check
that edit after edit, the document stays valid (in the xml sense), and
right management. We also believe that whiteboarding would be used in
a presentation mode where only a few occupants would be able to edit
whereas 50 people might watch the document.
The whiteboard protocol is definitively less verbose than SXE and by
such should scale way better with an appropriate conflict resolution
approach. I'm particularly thinking at the initial state
synchronization in SXE which can be pretty verbose.

We think that having a generic protocol for xml editing is nice, but
our only use case right now is whiteboarding so we wouldn't mind
having a whiteboard specific protocol.

Is it possible to have access at the whiteboard openfire plugin
sources, or a documentation on what protocol exactly it implements.

-Yann