[Standards] Use of "notification without payload"...

Jehan Jehan.3g4v2z at no-mx.jabberforum.org
Mon Sep 22 09:50:48 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have a question about the notification without payload I wanted to
ask for monthes... You can be sent a nude notification without payload
and then only request it:
http://tinyurl.com/2qpugj

This is nice when you want to read fully only notification which
interest you. What strikes me here is: how do you know it will interest
you? Shouldn't there be a minimum information in these kinds of
notification? A title most likely...
Or else there is some point I don't understand. Because just receiving
a notification saying "you have a notification" looks useless to me.
Either I never request the whole notification; hence nothing interests
me in the node, so why did I bother to subscribe? Either I'm curious and
always request the full notification, so these is a boring step which
could be avoided... There should be a minimum information so that it
becomes useful and can guess whether it will be interesting to request
the payload...

To be even more efficient, I would suggest there "could" be several
levels of payload: summary (or extract) or full payload especially. That
can enable me to have only the first lines of a notification then I see
if I want to get the whole information or not...
Any opinion?

Jehan

--
Jehan