[Standards] XEP-0198

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Sep 29 19:13:52 UTC 2008

On Mon Sep 29 20:02:53 2008, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> I don't know if the prefixing buys us all that much. Perhaps there
> was
> some mistaken notion that we'd save a ton of bytes. But I don't see
> deep difference between the following:
>
> <a xmlns='urn:xmpp:sm:0' b='1'/>
>
> <sm:a b='1'/>
>
> And the added complexity of the prefixing makes the latter more
> painful,
> for many reasons. I'd just as soon remove it entirely.

One reason is that we forbid the declaration of extension namespaces
(with a MUST NOT) at stream level. Now, as it happens, many
implementations cope with this fine, but in principle, they need not
- you could chop stanzas out and not rewrap them in the original
<stream:stream/> and be legal, for example.

In this case, it'd be possible to reject connections which did
declare unrecognized namespaces at the stream level, which in this
instance would cause all XEP-0198 connections to be ignored.

I'm inclined to say, therefore, that either we redeclare the
namespace on each XEP-0198 element, or else we just say that XEP-0198
extends the jabber:server and jabber:client namespaces - the latter
is uglier in the specification, but much cleaner on the wire.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/