[Standards] [E2E] Why we need a <body> element

Jonathan Schleifer js-xmpp-standards at webkeks.org
Tue Sep 30 14:49:23 UTC 2008

Am 30.09.2008 um 16:28 schrieb Dirk Meyer:

> OK. So you want to add a <body> if we use IBB. And because you can not
> add a <body> with an error message to an <iq> you want to add a note
> in the XEP to use <message> for IBB. Is that correct?

No. The sender is not the problem, the sender can notice through
XEP-0184 that the message got lost or couldn't be decrypted. The
problem is: When the receiver receives a message at the wrong
resource, he'll never know. And it doesn't matter whether you used IQ
or Message there. The receiver will never know. However, when you add
a body and that encrypted message goes to a client not capable of E2E,
the receiver *will* now.

In this case, Adium can't handle ESessions. But I noticed I got an
encrypted messages, which I don't support, because a body was attached.

> You propose to use <message> because we can add a body to it and we
> can not do that with <iq>. But why do you propose <message> in the
> first place when the routing problem does not happen with <iq>? Sorry,
> I do not understand what you mean.

The message was directed to the resource, still, the routing problem
did happen. Plus we might have reconnected with another resource with
the same name, but other capabilities. And then we have the problem
again. IQ doesn't help at all here.

--
Jonathan