[Standards] Adding countrycode to XEP-0080: User Location

Pierre-Luc Beaudoin pierre-luc.beaudoin at collabora.co.uk
Thu Aug 13 16:08:47 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'd like to suggest the addition of a "countrycode" child element to
XEP-0080: User Location.  This element would convey a xs:string
representing the ISO 3166 two letter country code of the user's
location.

The rational behind this is that while the location can be in the user's
locale, this field wouldn't, leaving room for UIs to display the country
in the receiving user's locale.

While this information is doubling the content of the country field, I
think the cross locale readability is worth it.

A simple example would be a friend with the following location:
      * locality: Санкт-Петербу́рг​
      * country: Российская Федерация​
      * countrycode: RU
In the UI of an English receiving user (presumed a non Cyrillic reader),
the label "Russia" next to the country could be helpful.

In our current Telepathy/Empathy implementation of XEP-0080, we send
both countrycode and country as provided from our location source
Geoclue.

Regards,
Pierre-Luc

--