[Standards] XEP-0175 1.2rc1

Brian Cully bcully at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 00:53:04 UTC 2009

On 13-Aug-2009, at 20:45, Andy Skelton wrote:
> "After a client authenticates using the SASL ANONYMOUS mechanism, it
> MUST bind a resource; the server SHOULD ignore the resource identifier
> provided by the client (if any) and instead assign a resource
> identifier that it generates on behalf of the client."

	I cannot find this text in XEP 0175. Perhaps you're looking at an
older version?

	What I see is:

RFC 3920 specifies that after an XMPP client authenticates with an
XMPP server, it must bind a resource to the XML stream so that XML
stanzas can be routed to the client. In essence there are three
resource binding scenarios:

	• The client specifies a desired resource identifier and the server
accepts it.
	• The client specifies a desired resource identifier but the server
does not accept it, instead overruling the client and assigning a
resource identifier.
	• The client asks the server to assign a resource identifier and the
server does so.
No matter which scenario is enacted, at the end of the process the
server informs the client of its full JID <localpart at domain.tld/
resource>. In particular, it might be helpful for an XMPP server to
assign a full JID to the client (i.e., not just the resource
identifier) if it authenticates with SASL ANONYMOUS, and to ensure
that the "bare JID" portion <localpart at domain.tld> is unique in the
context of the domain served by the server.

-bjc