[Standards] XEP-0215 and STUN/TURN

Evgeniy Khramtsov xramtsov at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 04:59:28 UTC 2009

Hello.

I'm thinking of XEP-0215 implementation. In fact, the XEP is very simple
to implement (at least on server), but that leads to configuration
overkill. I imagine a system administrator maintaining a server with N
nodes in a cluster and H virtual hosts. He wants to configure a stun,
stuns, turn and turns server in external discovery. In that case he need
to create N*3*H*3*H records in the configuration file: a stun and turn
takes 3 sections per virtual host (udp, tcp and tls) each and requires
to configure it on every node. If N=2 and H=2 (a cluster of 2 nodes and
2 virtual hosts) he needs to create 72 records! Of course a server
software may provide a technique to reduce the overhead, but that may
cause a configuration file complexity.

Personally, I'm interesting in a short-term credentials allocation for a
TURN server. I think DNS is the right place to discover stun/turn
services since corresponding specifications provide SRV records for that.

--
Regards,
Evgeniy Khramtsov, ProcessOne.