[Standards] XEP-0215 and STUN/TURN

Evgeniy Khramtsov xramtsov at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 09:47:50 UTC 2009

Evgeniy Khramtsov wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm thinking of XEP-0215 implementation. In fact, the XEP is very
> simple to implement (at least on server), but that leads to
> configuration overkill. I imagine a system administrator maintaining a
> server with N nodes in a cluster and H virtual hosts. He wants to
> configure a stun, stuns, turn and turns server in external discovery.
> In that case he need to create N*3*H*3*H records in the configuration
> file: a stun and turn takes 3 sections per virtual host (udp, tcp and
> tls) each and requires to configure it on every node. If N=2 and H=2
> (a cluster of 2 nodes and 2 virtual hosts) he needs to create 72
> records! Of course a server software may provide a technique to reduce
> the overhead, but that may cause a configuration file complexity.
>
> Personally, I'm interesting in a short-term credentials allocation for
> a TURN server. I think DNS is the right place to discover stun/turn
> services since corresponding specifications provide SRV records for that.

I think we can move the secret allocation part in a separate request.
Example:

<iq type='get'
    from='bard at shakespeare.lit/globe'
    to='shakespeare.lit'
    id='all1'>
  <secret xmlns='urn:xmpp:extdisco:0' type='turn'/>
</iq>

<iq type='result'
    from='shakespeare.lit'
    to='bard at shakespeare.lit/globe'
    id='all1'>
  <secret xmlns='urn:xmpp:extdisco:0' type='turn' username='jl2er' password='iowerf324'/>

Or something like that. What do you think?

--
Regards,
Evgeniy Khramtsov, ProcessOne.