[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0232 (Software Information)

Remko Tronçon remko at el-tramo.be
Mon Feb 2 13:57:46 UTC 2009

This thread seems to have died down, so time to revive it, given that
it is in last call.

This was my understanding of the opinions on this XEP:
- Showing the different type of icons per-status is not something
people want to implement in clients. The only use I see is for this
might be transports, although I still think most clients even want
this to be implemented on their side, for better consistency with the
rest of the UI look.
- Some clients implement the per-client logo avatar, so the logo
sounds useful to at least these clients.
- There's a security issue with OOB images that at least needs to be
documented. Documenting is probably not enough, because I don't see a
client displaying client icons asking the user for every type of
client whether he wants to fetch the icon (which is different than
with 'occasional' OOB requests that need to be acknowledged). There
was a suggestion of mediated BoB solutions, which IMO makes sense
because it removes the burden of security checks off the clients, and
most clients will request the same images anyway.

cheers,
Remko