[Standards] Message Archiving expire

Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo cascardo at holoscopio.com
Sat Feb 7 17:39:10 UTC 2009

Hello,

I've been interested in Message Archiving Protocol for a long time.
Unfortunately, I usually don't find the time to play with it. I hope
that changes in the next days, when I plan to provide some
implementation that will let users export their history from some
clients to a manual archive server.

Reading the standard, I found that the expire field should get some
improvement. First, there is no option to tell the server that the
message should not expire. Second, it does not tell what it means to
expire in 0 seconds. The negative case is not possible if you look at
the schema, but a text indicating that would be nice too.

I will gladly provide a patch if an agreement is reached about how to
indicate a message should not expire and what expiring in 0 seconds
means. To get both solved at once, I would propose that expiring in 0
seconds indicates to the server that the messages should not expire.

Sections 2.2.2.1 and 2.2.3.1 would look like this:

"If the 'save' attribute is not set to 'false' then is RECOMMENDED to
also include an 'expire' attribute, which indicates how many seconds
after messages are archived that the server SHOULD delete them. The
'expire' attribute MUST NOT be negative and it MAY be '0' (zero)
indicating that the server SHOULD NOT delete the archived messages."

Best Regards,
Cascardo.