[Standards] groupchat and error message routing

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu Feb 12 10:57:41 UTC 2009

On Wed Feb 11 18:27:03 2009, Jiří Zárevúcký wrote:
> I'm not entirely sure, but I think that nobody is ever supposed to
> send an error message to a bare JID.

Not true - PEP nodes send from a bare jid, if these bounce they end
up back at a connected resource, much to the client's bewilderment,
especially if the server is reusing the client's id for publishing.

However, Waqas is saying that errors sent to non-existent resources
are also sent to any conveniently connected client, too.

>  Errors are sent in a response to
> an invalid stanza, which always originates from a resource. As for
> the
> "groupchat", I would suggest taking a look at the relevant XEP.

The "relevant XEP" is RFC 3921.

FWIW, I think groupchat to non-existent resources or bare jids should
be bounced, and errors to bare jids MAY be handled by the server, and
MUST NOT be sent to any resource except the original addressee.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/