[Standards] Unsubscribe on Userdelete (Was: Password protected rooms)

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Fri Feb 13 11:48:57 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Feb 13, 2009, at 9:26 AM, Michael Grigutsch wrote:

> Matthew Wild wrote on the Standard-List:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Jonathan Schleifer
>> <js-xmpp-standards at webkeks.org> wrote:
>>> Just a reason NOT to require a PW for the owner: Some admin might
>>> have
>>> changed it and now the owner can't join the room anymore or change
>>> it back.
>>>
>> That same admin could simply remove the owner from the owner list
>> and be done :)
>> This single issue aside however, I do think that the total lack of
>> any
>> way to track which services a JID is affiliated with is scary. This
>> affects transports/gateways, MUCs, etc. Are roster subscriptions even
>> cancelled on account removal?
>
> Thats an very interesting point - in many respects. Two more examples:
> - I have a service with many users from other servers subscribed.
> As there is no unsubscribe if the user has been deleted, I have
> many  "zombie"-subscription. I can only check the subscriptions from
> my own  server if the accounts still exist. And even that is not so
> easy.
> - A friend subscribed my presence. He was some time in hospital, so
> I never  noticed, that his account was deleted on the server (due to
> inactivity?).
> As the jid came back online I wrote him gladly, how he is after the
> surgery...   I realised very late, that the account was now new
> assigned.
>
> I see only the solution, that there has to be an unsubscribe-request
> to every contact in the roster of an user if that user is going to
> be deleted.

There are others. You could say that reponses to the initial <presence
type="probe"> should include the current state of the subscription.
This would allow the receiving server to check if the subscription
status is consistent, and take the appropriate measures to correct it.

And if the destination user does not exist, then you can always
respond with <presence type="unsubscribe"> or even include a <deleted
xmlns="urn:xmpp:roster:cleanup" />

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo