[Standards] [Roster|Data] Versioning

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Feb 19 19:15:20 UTC 2009

XEP-0237 started out as roster versioning, but we then generalized it to
cover other data formats such as disco (and potentially pubsub?).

At the XMPP Summit last week, we had some brief discussions about how
useful a technology like this would be for mobile optimization, but some
folks were concerned about making a general solution, instead suggesting
that we could have similar but different approaches for rosters, for
disco, etc.

Thus we might have IQ-gets like this (particular solutions):

<iq type='get'>
  <query xmlns='jabber:iq:roster' num='foo'/>
</iq>

<iq type='get'>
  <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#items' num='foo'/>
</iq>

Instead of like this (general solution):

<iq type='get'>
  <query xmlns='jabber:iq:roster'>
    <seq xmlns='urn:xmpp:seq' num='foo'/>
  </query>
</iq>

<iq type='get'>
  <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#items'>
    <seq xmlns='urn:xmpp:seq' num='foo'/>
  </query>
</iq>

Given that I see only two (perhaps three) domains in which we need data
versioning, I don't feel a strong need for a general solution.

Let's get this figured out so that client and server developers can
start implementing this feature. As the proud owner of a roster with
~2150 items, I thank you in advance for your feedback. :)

https://stpeter.im/