[Standards] roster views

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Feb 26 02:33:26 UTC 2009

At the XMPP Summit in Brussels, we talked about a mechanism for
retrieving only parts of your roster. This would be useful for mobile
applications or any situation in which bandwidth is an issue, such as
when you have 2,000+ people in your roster. ;-)

The basic idea is that you could ask the server to send you only
contacts in the roster group(s) you specify. The XML might look
something like this:

<iq type='get'>
  <query xmlns='jabber:iq:roster'>
    <group xmlns='urn:xmpp:rosterviews'>VIPs</group>
  </query>
</iq>

(Naturally you would need to discover support for this feature before
sending that IQ-get to the server.)

The server would then send you only the contacts in the group(s) you
specified:

<iq type='result'>
  <query xmlns='jabber:iq:roster'>
    <item jid='foo at example.com'>
      <group>VIPs</group>
    </item>
    <item jid='bar at example.net'>
      <group>VIPs</group>
    </item>
  </query>
</iq>

The server would also filter inbound presence so that you would receive
presence notifications only from contacts in the group(s) you specified.

We had rough consensus that the server would not change its processing
of your outbound presence, i.e., it would send your presence to your
entire contact list, not only contacts in the group(s) you specify via
roster views.

If people think this would be useful, I'd be happy to write a small spec
about it. Right now I don't think this belongs in rfc3921bis but I could
be persuaded to change my mind about that (e.g., it might make sense to
have both roster versioning and roster views in the same core spec).

https://stpeter.im/