[Standards] roster views

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 02:51:35 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 2:33 AM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
> [...]
> We had rough consensus that the server would not change its processing
> of your outbound presence, i.e., it would send your presence to your
> entire contact list, not only contacts in the group(s) you specify via
> roster views.

I was of the impression that it would also apply to outgoing
presences, and the filtered roster would essentially become your
roster for that session. I don't know what others think though.

> If people think this would be useful, I'd be happy to write a small spec
> about it. Right now I don't think this belongs in rfc3921bis but I could
> be persuaded to change my mind about that (e.g., it might make sense to
> have both roster versioning and roster views in the same core spec).

I think I already said somewhere that I believe this should be in
core, versioning should be a XEP. Requiring all implementations to
support versioning just feels wrong, and I tend to like smaller specs.
However I understand if others don't feel the same way.

Matthew.