[Standards] roster views

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Feb 26 02:57:10 UTC 2009

Matthew Wild wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 2:33 AM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
>> [...]
>> We had rough consensus that the server would not change its processing
>> of your outbound presence, i.e., it would send your presence to your
>> entire contact list, not only contacts in the group(s) you specify via
>> roster views.
>>

> I was of the impression that it would also apply to outgoing
> presences, and the filtered roster would essentially become your
> roster for that session. I don't know what others think though.

I could go either way. If roster views result in filtering of your
outbound presence then they are essentially a replacement for (some of)
what's now in privacy lists. I like that idea a lot because I don't like
privacy lists. :)

>> If people think this would be useful, I'd be happy to write a small spec
>> about it. Right now I don't think this belongs in rfc3921bis but I could
>> be persuaded to change my mind about that (e.g., it might make sense to
>> have both roster versioning and roster views in the same core spec).
>>

> I think I already said somewhere that I believe this should be in
> core, versioning should be a XEP. Requiring all implementations to
> support versioning just feels wrong, and I tend to like smaller specs.
> However I understand if others don't feel the same way.

I think that either both versioning and views belong in rfc3921bis or
neither does. The syntax of what's currently in XEP-0237 (using an
attribute to indicate the version number) makes it difficult to split it
out into a XEP, but I suppose that could be overcome.

https://stpeter.im/