[Standards] XEP-0198 suggestion (Stream management)

Mickael Remond mickael.remond at process-one.net
Sat Feb 28 14:10:18 UTC 2009

Hello Dave,

Dave Cridland wrote:

> Well, that's true, but you just encode in whatever else makes sense
> to relocate the session.
>
> We'd be using a node URI and session number tuple, probably.

What if you resume twice ?
You cannot implement session migration to the new node the user might be
connected to, because the this sm-id is not updated during the life of
the session.

I still think requiring the full JID is the best approach as it maps
with how to locate a session in the server when sending a message to a
client. No extra mechanism is required to locate a session to resume
than to locate it to send it a message. This is why I think this is much
better.

My original point is that this full JID seems needed for performance /
scalability reason and we will need our implementation to require
that. This looks like a small detail but when you deal with hundreds of
thousands online users (and even more with millions), this is the kind
of decision that pay off.

--
Mickaël Rémond
 http://www.process-one.net/