[Standards] roster views

Jonathan Schleifer js-xmpp-standards at webkeks.org
Sat Feb 28 16:21:18 UTC 2009

Am 28.02.2009 um 17:16 schrieb Mickael Remond:

> I think it should. That's what most people do when they want to
> achieve
> what I described in a good way: They create several accounts (work,
> home
> for example) and use them accordingly.
> This approach would allow to use one account to achieve the same
> result: Being able to have several profile that you can use depending

Ok, then how do you want to solve the use-case that you have thousands
of users who should see you, but you're not interested in their
presence? With you're aproach, they wouldn't see you - thus it would
miserably fail for this use case.

If you DON'T filter presence based on which parts of the roster you
received, you can STILL use privacy lists to achieve what you want -
BOTH usecases would be possible this way.

> Regarding the roster, do not forget that you are not forced to get it
> when you connect.

But maybe I _WANT_ parts of it? I for example _WANT_ to see those in
the group "Friends", but DONT'T want to see those in the group "Work"
when I'm at home, but still want that they can send me messages if
there's something important.

--
Jonathan