[Standards] Gateway behavior regarding nicknames and custom status

Zenek zenek.k at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 21:42:01 UTC 2009

Hello,

Dne st 31. prosince 2008 Matt Campbell napsal(a):
> Hello from an XMPP newcomer:
(...)
> However, it is sometimes
> desirable to set one's nickname and custom status on the legacy network
> independently.  Is such a feature beyond the intended scope of XMPP
> gateways, or is this an area that has simply not been considered and
> discussed?  I've verified that XEP-0100 doesn't cover this topic.  I'd
> appreciate any thoughts or clarifications.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

For changing the status, it should be enough to send custom presence directly
to the gateway JID (set the to= of the presence stanza, some clients support
it, in others you might have to use the XML console).

For the nickname part, I think this is the gateway's business, so as long as
it reads it from the vCard there's little you can do (patching the pyMSN-t
for instance).

I hope that helps.

Have a nice day,
Zenon Kuder

--
Stop Skype Plague
.doc is not a document format! http://www.oss.cz/hlavni-obsah/odf
XMPP: zenek at jabbim.cz
"DRM: Digital Restrictions Management -- learn about the dangers at
http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm"