[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0245 (The /me Command)

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 22:10:24 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 9:29 PM, XMPP Extensions Editor <editor at xmpp.org> wrote:
> This message constitutes notice of a Last Call for comments on XEP-0245 (The /me Command).
>
> Abstract: This specification defines recommended handling of the /me command in XMPP instant messaging clients.

> This Last Call begins today and shall end at the close of business on 2009-01-20.
>
> Please consider the following questions during this Last Call and send your feedback to the standards at xmpp.org discussion list:
>
> 1. Is this specification needed to fill gaps in the XMPP protocol stack or to clarify an existing protocol?

Yes

> 2. Does the specification solve the problem stated in the introduction and requirements?

See bottom.

> 3. Do you plan to implement this specification in your code? If not, why not?

N/A for a server.

No, except possibly in the note below.

Yes. Nice and concise too :)

Something occurred to me the other day (and I was annoyed because I
thought this XEP finalised). Some clients struggle to agree about how
to handle /me at the same time as XHTML-IM. The main question is
whether they should send the /me message in XHTML as they would
present it ("* John does this") (often in another colour too), or
whether they send the unprocessed "/me does this" text.

When the latter, this requires receiving clients to process incoming
XHTML-IM messages for /me commands. Most clients also add their own
colour and style to actions, if they are to be consistent with
plaintext messages, but should these styles override the styles set by
the sender?

I don't know what the best solution is, but I think it is quite
desirable to have some mention of this issue in the XEP, and a
recommended behaviour.

Matthew.