[Standards] Fwd: Minutes 2009-01-21

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu Jan 22 00:20:53 UTC 2009

On Wed Jan 21 20:51:55 2009, Kevin Smith wrote:
> 4) Message Mine-ing
>   What do we do?
>
> Several objections, but agreement that a spec to address these
> problems
> is needed, and rough agreement to publish both this and an upcoming
> alternative to experimental and to compare them both once they're
> 'out
> there'.

Attached is part of a solution to the (largely unstated) problem.

I consider this a logical, and relatively simple, extension to
existing client logic for handling messages. It requires no server
support. It's modular, explicit, and flexible.

The other parts of the solution are:

1) A refinement on the remote control ad-hoc commands to send only
some pending messages. (Not really essential, but might be nice).

2) A mechanism Kev proposed for raising priority dynamically relative
to other resources based on user activity (as opposed to current
practise, which is lowering it due to use inactivity without looking
at other clients).

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/