[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0232 (Software Information)

Jiří Zárevúcký zarevucky.jiri at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 17:10:32 UTC 2009

2009/1/22 Olivier Goffart <ogoffart at kde.org>:
> Why do we need to send icons URL for status? I think it will just confuse the
> user if each cotact has different icons for different statuses.
>
> I see also that as a potential security issue that can reveal user's presence
> + IP (while following the links)

I agree. IMO there is no reason, why should one client tell another
how to display it's states. I would certainly not implement (or enable
in client supporting this) such behavior. Noted security issue is also
a problem. On the other hand, if some client really used it, it would
have no way of knowing, whether cached images are up-to-date.

Other thing: every client can have different sizes of icons. I imagine
one could solve this by offering big images for client to scale down.
Now we can download 50+ (probably more) 128x128px images every
startup.

So.. I think it is nice reinterpretation of XEP-92, but these icons
are way too useless.