[Standards] DEFERRED: XEP-0209 (Metacontacts)

Jiří Zárevúcký zarevucky.jiri at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 19:23:28 UTC 2009

>> 1) Why not use user-specified handle (meta-contact name) instead of
>> some opaque "tag"?
>
> Sure, you could do that too (unlness I overlook something, It's been
> some time). I'll clarify this.

"The value of the 'tag' is used as a non-human readable unique
identifier for a metacontact."
I think it would be nice to drop the "non-human readable" part.
Actually, making it a human readable name would allow users to name
metacontacts.

>> 2) How are these meta-contact data supposed to be scattered across
>> multiple accounts? I really didn't get this part. (clarification
>> needed?)
>
> Every account needs to store the tags of its contacts separately. Same
> tag on different account == same metacontact.
>
> I'll add some clarification about this.

So this apply only for clients that allow multiple accounts connected
simultaneously, without rosters being separated (Gajim's merged mode),
right? Ok, that was obvious... sorry for asking.. :)