[Standards] DEFERRED: XEP-0209 (Metacontacts)

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 21:22:31 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 9:05 PM, Remko Tronçon <remko at el-tramo.be> wrote:
>> Thus, I consider the Kopete behaviour rather bad.
>
> I wouldn't call it bad. It's a good enough poor-man's metacontact,
> especially in the case where private storage is not available on the
> server. However, I do think behavior like this should be optional. I
> for example have a few contacts with the same name in my roster (but
> in different groups).
>
> Leapfrog provides both approaches IIRC.

I must say I'm inclined to agree with Olivier. Perhaps we are solving
the problem from the wrong angle? Specifically, perhaps we can solve
the need for users to append "(Home)", "(Work)", "(ICQ)" and "(MSN)"?

I'm not going to object to this XEP, I just can't help wondering if
the same could be achieved in a simpler way.

Matthew.