[Standards] DEFERRED: XEP-0209 (Metacontacts)

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Fri Jan 23 11:55:24 UTC 2009

On Jan 23, 2009, at 7:02 AM, Yann Leboulanger wrote:

> Jiří Zárevúcký a écrit :
>> 2009/1/22 Yann Leboulanger <asterix at lagaule.org>:
>>> each contact has its own name, there is not a name for the "group"
>>> of
>>> contacts.
>>> I don't see how it could be usefull to have a name from the
>>> metacontact
>>> "group".
>>>
>> I think it could be useful in some scenarios.
>> Example:
>> contact at whatever.org - "Contact - Company"
>> contact at google.com - "Contact - GTalk"
>> 123456789 at icq.whatever.org - "Contact - ICQ"
>> Metacontact - "Contact"
>> Rationale: every sub-contact can have some
>> explanation/specification/location specified in name
>> Perhaps it would not be very useful for most people, I don't know. I
>> personally would use it in this way.
>
> And in your roster you see "Contact"? So dou don't know to which jid
> you'll talk when you'll open a chat window. but if you show the name
> of the highest priority resource, you'll see "Contact - Company" in
> yout roster and you'll know to  which jid you'll talk.

Is it importnat to know? I know that I want to talk to Yann, I don't
really care how. It is Yann clients responsibility to have the
priorities straight between them so that my messages arrive to the
proper place.

We can argue that the single priority field is not enough for this,
specially if you have VoIP and SMS in your clients (the best resource
for chat is not necessarily the best resource for VoIP), but the
solution for "how-to organize several contacts for the same person"
need not be the solution to "which resource is the best to start a
conversation using {chat,voip,sms,ft,other}".

At least, that is our experience.

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo