[Standards] DEFERRED: XEP-0209 (Metacontacts)

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Fri Jan 23 13:02:54 UTC 2009

On Jan 23, 2009, at 12:35 PM, Jiří Zárevúcký wrote:
> 2009/1/23 Pedro Melo <melo at simplicidade.org>:

>>> Custom contact tagging? I smell a new XEP... :D
>>
>> Really, if this is something that is going to be discussed, then
>> you should
>> just allow for extra XML namespaces under each <item> in the
>> roster. That,
>> with the incremental roster XEPs discussed (resulted in XEP-0237,
>> Data
>> Sequencing) is probably the best answer for anything contact related.
>>
> That would be just another way of storing data. If some servers don't
> support classic XML storage, how soon would they support this?

Sure. The problem is there no matter what you choose: PIP, Private
Storage, those things are not guaranteed right now.

I was just making a point that we already have a roster with a per
contact API to change it. We could extend it.

That's all I'm saying. But I expect that PIP will probably be a better
investment...

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo