[Standards] DEFERRED: XEP-0209 (Metacontacts)

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Fri Jan 23 13:18:48 UTC 2009

On Jan 23, 2009, at 12:38 PM, Jiří Zárevúcký wrote:

>> In the Mac version (Leapfrog), we implemented XEP-0209 and used it
>> internally (friendly customers and those brace enough to use the
>> nightly
>> builds) but we rolled to the code back to the simpler version.
>>
>> At the time, delays to retrieve the private storage items would cause
>> temporary mis-aggregation of contacts, who look like "bugs" or
>> erratic
>> behavior. Also, the size of the iq set for each simple change to a
>> meta-contact is also a negative aspect of the protocol as it stands.
>
> You could retrieve metacontact information before the roster itself,
> couldn't you? Or just cache last known state of metacontacts.

We could. I think we did, but delaying the roster also has problems in
terms of user experience.

Cache was not a option for us. The client is deployed on some systems
(windows) very locked down (at least that was the explanation I was
given, I personally find it a bit strange... everybody as a /tmp,
right?).

I think I wrote some emails about this xep in the past. In the end,
the simplest solution was good enough for us. Others might have more
demanding requirements.

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo