[Standards] DEFERRED: XEP-0209 (Metacontacts)

Jiří Zárevúcký zarevucky.jiri at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 18:34:31 UTC 2009

2009/1/23 Pedro Melo <melo at simplicidade.org>:
> Hi,
>
> On Jan 22, 2009, at 9:27 PM, Jiří Zárevúcký wrote:
>
>> 2009/1/22 Matthew Wild <mwild1 at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> I must say I'm inclined to agree with Olivier. Perhaps we are solving
>>> the problem from the wrong angle? Specifically, perhaps we can solve
>>> the need for users to append "(Home)", "(Work)", "(ICQ)" and "(MSN)"?
>>>
>>> I'm not going to object to this XEP, I just can't help wondering if
>>> the same could be achieved in a simpler way.
>>>
>>> Matthew.
>>>

>> Custom contact tagging? I smell a new XEP... :D
>
> Really, if this is something that is going to be discussed, then you should
> just allow for extra XML namespaces under each <item> in the roster. That,
> with the incremental roster XEPs discussed (resulted in XEP-0237, Data
> Sequencing) is probably the best answer for anything contact related.
>
> Best regards,
> --
> Pedro Melo
> Blog: http://www.simplicidade.org/notes/
> XMPP ID: melo at simplicidade.org
> Use XMPP!

I was thinking about this and it really starts to seem to me like the
best idea of this entire thread. Allowing extra information to be
stored for every contact would solve a lot of issues. Noted
incremental roster retrieving would also solve problem of unnecessary
bandwidth overhead. I said earlier that there would be problem with
adopting such feature, but as this would reflect directly in XMPP-IM,
it may not be such a problem after all. Anyway, I think this idea
deserves more consideration.