[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0198 (Stream Management)

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Jun 3 20:45:09 UTC 2009

On Wed Jun  3 21:32:59 2009, Justin Karneges wrote:
> I'm not sure about BOSH, but certainly any kind of plain TCP-based
> connection
> manager.  If you have an intermediate client connection manager
> that does not
> do acks, but your server core does acks, then you'd want to ensure
> the
> connection manager doesn't try to be clever and filter anything.
> IMO this is
> a silly warning, and anyone designing a scalable server should know
> how to
> design appropriately.  It's also more of an implementation note
> than a
> security note.

Sure, but as far as XMPP is concerned, there are no intermediate
client connection managers. The architecture is C2S, S2S, and P2P -
no proxy involved.

(The reality may well be different, and the reality may also include
significant security issues, but I think this would need documenting
somewhere else entirely).

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/