[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: OutOfBand Stream Data

Dirk Meyer dmeyer at tzi.de
Tue Jun 9 09:42:39 UTC 2009

Hi,

sorry for the late answer -- stupid PhD thesis....

Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Fri Apr 24 16:31:20 2009, Joe Hildebrand wrote:
>> Sorry I'm so far behind.  Any chance XEP-265 could have a framing
>> parameter in the Jingle portion?  Some folks might like to just use
>> BEEP instead of the framing mechanism specified in the XEP.
>
> Or at least a BEEP-lite - we (Isode) may actually produce a spec for
> the MPP protocol that is, more or less, that - we use it for internal
> fast comms in our products already.

What do you mean by BEEP-lite? I looked at BEEP again to check if we
could use it instead of the self-made framing and found two parts I
don't like:

1. Every MSG needs an RPY or NUL as answer? If you transfer a video in
   frames (that is one reason why I wrote it), what is the answer? Or
   does your BEEP-lite ignore the it?

2. I also do not like the seqno. It has a maximum value of 4GB which is
   not enough when watching HD content.

Besides that, it would be ok for me to use the BEEP style
frameming. This would move the content-type stuff away from the XML
stream into the frameming but that is ok for me.

> But in any case, yes, a framing mechanism sounds great.

I'm thinking about it. It would be nice to know what parts of BEEP you
need and how your so-called BEEP-lite looks like.

BEEP over XMPP .... who would have thought that 5 years ago?

Dirk

--
"To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous."
                                                [Confucius 551 BC - 479 BC]