[Standards] reliable messaging

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Jun 17 14:43:08 UTC 2009

On Wed Jun 17 15:37:11 2009, Evgeniy Khramtsov wrote:
> Dave Cridland wrote:
>> I think that includes receipt of a response to a ping sent
>> immediately after the message, if nothing more atomic is available.
>
> With the exception that ping introduces addition traffic overhead
> and complexity in an implementation.

Well, I think you'd find that given nobody implements message
receipts anyway, it might be suggested that method has complexity
issues all of its very own. An increasing number of clients already
support ping, so adding that in seems like a lightweight way of
increasing reliability for critical messages.

> My point is to ack everything just like in SIP.

Weren't you just complaining about additional traffic overhead?

XMPP is pretty reliable anyway. There's really no need to worry about
the vast majority of messages, just as we don't bother using MDN in
email most of the time.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/