[Standards] reliable messaging

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Wed Jun 17 15:39:31 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Brian Cully <bcully at gmail.com> wrote:
>        Don't get me wrong, I agree that there are no perfect guarantees. However, I think focusing too much on that is distracting. While you can never know for sure you can establish a certain amount of trust. Message ACKs are one such way to show that odds are better than normal that your message was received.

Yes, you're quite right - We need to remember that Message Receipts
aren't Message ACKs in the obvious way though - they're only to be
sent after the message has been processed and given to the user.
XEP-198 is message acks per-hop, which would do the trick fine, or we
could have an end-to-end ack protocol that gives machine-machine
ACKing, or we could use a ping trick as Dave suggests.

/K