[Standards] Wording JID, FullJid, baseJID,...

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Mon Jun 22 16:21:35 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-22 at 13:30 +0100, Pedro Melo wrote:
> On Jun 22, 2009, at 12:28 PM, Bernhard zwischenbrugger wrote:
> [..]
> > romeo
> >                                                                                // username
>
> Node identifier.
>
> In some contexts username might be appropriate.
>
> [..]
>
> > <iq from="pubsub.example.com" node="something">   // jid+node
>
> Not sure what you mean here. This is not even a valid stanza. There is
> no "node" in the top level <iq />

What Bernard means in the latter case is that publish-subscribe requests
and service discovery requests are targeted at a node, using the
(possibly empty) 'node' attribute. The value of this attribute is
referred to as NodeID, or Node Identifier.

I find it highly confusing to have optional part of a JID before the '@'
also be called Node. As I don't feel like changing any protocol over
this, could we possibly change the name of this JID part in 3920bis?

--
Groetjes,

ralphm