[Standards] Call for Experience: XEP-0199 (XMPP Ping)

Yann Leboulanger asterix at lagaule.org
Fri May 1 07:48:08 UTC 2009

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> In its meeting yesterday, the XMPP Council agreed to issue a "Call for
> Experience" regarding XEP-0199 (XMPP Ping), in preparation for perhaps
> advancing this specification from Draft to Final in the XSF's standards
> process. To help the Council decide whether this XEP is ready to advance
> to a status of Final, the Council would like to gather the following
> information:
>
> 1. Who has implemented XEP-0199? Please note that the protocol must be
> implemented in at least two separate codebases (and preferably more).

Gajim implements it, but some users complains about inopportune
reconnections. In fact we had too short timeouts. We mixed ping with
keepalive. We sent ping after 55sec of inactivity and wait for 20
seconds. We are now working on having 2 things: 55s and we send a
keepalive, 2minutes and we send a ping and we wait for 1 minute. The
goal is to detect connection cut before the looong TCP timeout.

> 2. Have developers experienced any problems with the protocol as defined
> in XEP-0199? If so, please describe the problems and, if possible,
> suggested solutions.

Maybe add an implementation note with some reasonable timeout values?

> 3. Is the text of XEP-0199 clear and unambiguous? Are more examples
> needed? Is the conformance language (MAY/SHOULD/MUST) appropriate? Have
> developers found the text confusing at all? Please describe any
> suggestions you have for improving the text.

Nothing.