[Standards] Privacy lists and the order of items

Waqas Hussain waqas20 at gmail.com
Mon May 11 07:56:13 UTC 2009

If a client adds/edits a privacy list

a) may a server reorder the list's item elements (sorted by the order
attribute for example)? That is, the client saves
<list name='somelist'>
  <item type='jid' value='paris at example.org' action='deny' order='5'/>
  <item type='jid' value='tybalt at example.com' action='deny' order='3'/>
</list>
but on retrieval gets
<list name='somelist'>
  <item type='jid' value='tybalt at example.com' action='deny' order='3'/>
  <item type='jid' value='paris at example.org' action='deny' order='5'/>
</list>

b) may a server change the value of the order attributes (making them
consecutive for example)? That is, the client saves
<list name='somelist'>
  <item type='jid' value='tybalt at example.com' action='deny' order='3'/>
  <item type='jid' value='paris at example.org' action='deny' order='5'/>
</list>
but on retrieval gets
<list name='somelist'>
  <item type='jid' value='tybalt at example.com' action='deny' order='1'/>
  <item type='jid' value='paris at example.org' action='deny' order='2'/>
</list>

In all of the above, the lists are equivalent, but the XML is not.

Also, I'm wondering why the order attribute is used on privacy lists'
items, instead of using the implicit order of the items. Am I missing
something, or is this historical baggage? I don't see anything gained
by explicitly specifying order. Part of some discarded list editing
protocol maybe?

--
Waqas Hussain