[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0237 (Roster Versioning)

Jiří Zárevúcký zarevucky.jiri at gmail.com
Wed May 13 17:33:06 UTC 2009

2009/5/13 Leonid Evdokimov <leon at darkk.net.ru>:
> Jiří Zárevúcký wrote:
>> If it is a hash of a complete roster (as Peter has told) then the
>> server would have to decode this hash, figure out exactly what version
>> that was, create a difference, figure out the version for every
>> change, and send every change with the appropriate full roster
>> checksum again.
>
> No, there is easier way that still conforms to the XEP:
>
> if hash matches - send nothing,
> if hash does not match - send whole roster.
>
> See  Implementation Guidelines[1] for details.
>
> [1] http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0237.html#impl
>

> Version string is up to server developer - he may do anything he wants
> to. Almost. The developer should conform to following precondition:
>
> if only part of roster is sent (as set of pushes) then every push should
> be treated as separate transaction and every push should leave
> conforming client in consistent state.

You didn't understand me. I'm just talking about examples being the
worst/most difficult to implement way imaginable. If developers really
do implement XEPs the example way, I'm frightened by the way servers
would implement this. If they are not, I don't see the point in making
such crazy examples. That's all.