[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0237 (Roster Versioning)

Curtis King cking at mumbo.ca
Thu May 14 19:01:36 UTC 2009

On 14-May-09, at 10:04 AM, Matthew Wild wrote:

> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Curtis King <cking at mumbo.ca> wrote:
>>
>> On 13-May-09, at 4:40 PM, Florian Zeitz wrote:
>>
>>> I'm also not really sure why anyone might ever want to use hashes.
>>
>> +1
>>

> Can't you let us (the server developers) decide that? ;)

I am one those server developers ;-) I don't know about you but I
spend way more time dealing with interoperability issues than anything
else. It's something we should be aware of and careful way weigh
increased flexibility against increased complexity.

> The way I read your email you want to remove the ability to use
> hashes, which implies making 'ver' not opaque to the client, and I can
> only ask what benefits having the client be able to interpret 'ver'
> brings?

  It makes things easier to understand and hopefully to implement. In
this case pretty much eliminates interoperability issues.

ck