[Standards] SIFT

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri May 15 03:15:27 UTC 2009

On the jdev at jabber.org list, Jack Moffitt wrote...

> I have a few comments on http://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/sift.html
>
> The namespace seems to have retained its roots instead of using sift.

Not sure what you mean here.

> I think when a client registers for presence, that is the time
> when the server should do presence probes.

You are correct.

> I think adding a default attribute to //register/iq is desireable,
> and it would work as such:
>
> default='deny' would mean that the child elements constitute a
> whitelist.  default='allow' would mean they constitute a blacklist.
> If we think the blacklist use case is not very compelling, then it
> may be better to keep it simple.

It seems to me that treating SIFT as functionally equivalent to
registering a handler seems like the way to go, rather than having the
kinds of "zebra lists" (blacklist/whitelist) that we have XEP-0016.

> Some note should be made that if we register for a subset of iqs,
> it becomes the server's rsponsibility to respond to unregistered
> namespaces so that we remain compliant with 3920.

Naturally. I'll add a note about that.

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre