[Standards] Idle sreams in RFCbis

Jiří Zárevúcky zarevucky.jiri at gmail.com
Mon May 25 10:22:46 UTC 2009

2009/5/25 Nicolas Vérité <nicolas.verite at process-one.net>:

> Strictly speaking:
> - the sending entity does not detect the loss of connection when it sends
> whitespaces

That's correct.

> - the receiving entity detects the loss of connection only if it has a
> mechanism that detects the absence of whitespaces

Not really. It is not required to send them, so you could be
terminating a live connection.

Otherwise I fully agree with you. Whitespace sending is a mechanism
for keepalive, not a failure detection, and certainly not a ping.

I'm not sure but I think that can be done with TCP somehow? Even as a
request-response mechanism. Does anyone have some experience with
that?