[Standards] Idle sreams in RFCbis

Artur Hefczyc artur.hefczyc at tigase.org
Mon May 25 10:26:05 UTC 2009

Hi,

> I would like to provide feedback on these two sections:
>
> 5.7.3.  Handling of Idle Streams
> http://xmpp.org/internet-drafts/draft-saintandre-rfc3920bis-09.html#streams-close-idle
>
> 12.7.  Whitespace
> http://xmpp.org/internet-drafts/draft-saintandre-rfc3920bis-09.html#xml-whitespace
>

> In 5.7.3, it says:
> "The typical method for detecting an idle TCP connection is to send
> a space
> character (U+0020) over the TCP connection between XML stanzas,
> which is
> allowed for XML streams as described under Section 12.7 (Whitespace)."
>
> Strictly speaking:
> - the sending entity does not detect the loss of connection when it
> sends
> whitespaces

I think you are not right here. From my experience the sending entity
only can
detect connection loss not the receiving.
This is because sometimes TCP/IP doesn't get notified of simple
connection
loss if there is no data transmission over the link.
Only when you attempt to send some data, even a single character, the
TCP/IP
stack tries to deliver it to the destination address. Of course if the
connection
is broken, the attempt fails and an error is returned to sending
application.

Artur
--
Artur Hefczyc