[Standards] XEP-0199 -- implementation notes?

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Fri May 29 13:58:51 UTC 2009

On Friday 29 May 2009 05:28:51 Jiří Zárevúcky wrote:
> 2009/5/29 Dirk Meyer <dmeyer at tzi.de>:
> > Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> >> In the XMPP Council meeting yesterday, we discussed the desirability of
> >> adding some implementation notes to XEP-0199 (XMPP Ping) before
> >> advancing it from Draft to Final.
> >
> > Stupid question: why use XEP-0199 and not <r/> <a h='0'/> from XEP-0189
> > for this task?
>
> Very simple answer: Clients not supporting the XEP will still respond
> with IQ error (if they are XMPP compliant, which is not the
> extension's problem). They wouldn't respond to some unknown "r"
> element. Also think of all the client that won't support XEP-189 for
> veeeery long time.

You wouldn't send elements from XEP-198 without first ensuring the other side
supports it (via stream features) and negotiating that it be used, so there
should never be a concern about sending an "r" element to a peer that
wouldn't understand it.

But yes, the advantage of XEP-199 is that it works with clients that may not
actually support XEP-199. :)  For clients that aren't XMPP-compliant enough
to return errors from unsupported iq types, the server could use a heuristic
approach to detect such clients and then not ping them.

-Justin