[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0198 (Stream Management)

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Fri May 29 19:58:01 UTC 2009

On Friday 29 May 2009 05:11:34 Dirk Meyer wrote:
> | The 'h' attribute identifies the last handled stanza (i.e., the last
> | stanza that the receiver will acknowledge as having received).
>
> I wonder if I start at 1 again after each ack. The examples in 8.1
> increase the number while example 22 in 8.2 resets the counter.

The example in 8.2 is wrong, it should not have started over.

That said, I think we ought to put in something about looping the counter, for
example going back to zero after some maximum.  I suggest that the stanza
count be defined as a 32-bit unsigned integer, that loops at maximum.  That
is, (2^32)-1.

> Next question: what is a stanza? Only mssage, iq and presence?

Correct, only message, iq, and presence.

> What about the ping from XEP-0199?  What about the ack itself?

The ping is a stanza.  The pong reply (iq-result) is also a stanza.

-Justin