[Standards] more obsolete specs

Fabio Forno fabio.forno at gmail.com
Fri May 29 23:00:51 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 3:42 AM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
> for historical purposes, so I'd be fine with keeping that as Deprecated.
> It seems to me that both XEPs 93 and 144 (which define different flavors
> of roster item exchange) are not widely implemented, so I'm agnostic
> about those.

XEP 144  is useful but it has two problems:

- the result iq is just an ack saying that the receiver has received
the roster modification, be we don't know if the user has accepted the
new items or not (in some cases it can be done indirectly, but it is
not easy)
- there should be more sophisticated way to negotiate the level of
trust with the roster modifier (e.g. in a Facebook gateway we don't
want to accept again the contacts since we already did it)

Moreover, if we move from a pure IM scenario to a platform for
offering services, I think that XEP-144 is crucial for automating the
interaction with different service providers. For example in a
geolocal based application I don't want users to continuously search
for contacts and approve them while moving, but I'd like to have
roster group which is continuously updated with the services available
in the current context.

bye

--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.