[Standards] MUC, MUC, glorious MUC

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Nov 18 21:07:57 UTC 2009

On 11/18/09 2:09 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:
> [...]

+1 here. It'll be forever until all the clients and servers give them
up, but we might as well start deprecating them as soon as possible.

>>> b) I'd personally like to have users control their anonymity on join -
>>> that is, you join a chatroom potentially saying "do expose my jid", or
>>> "do not expose my jid", the default being that exposing the jid is okay,
>>> but up to the room.
>>
>> With the understand that the room might overrule you, sure.
>
> Well, I was thinking that if you require anonymity, but the room does
> full disclosure, you wouldn't be able to join.

Some kind of dance will be needed. Does the user *really* require
anonymity or is the user willing to override that preference join this
really cool chatroom, just this once?

>>> Does anyone want to volunteer to start writing some of these up, and
>>> revising XEP-0045 itself, too?
>>
>> I think you've volunteered. :P
>
> This may have been my evil plan all along, though.

No doubt. :)

I might indeed have some time for working on this stuff before the end
of the year, but first I'm focusing on the bis drafts (now stable),
pubsub (XEP-0060 also now stable), Jingle (core errata incorporated, but
I really want to complete a review of the file transfer "suite"), and a
few small fixes to other specs. More soon.... :)

https://stpeter.im/