[Standards] Request for review: IETF vcardxml

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Sun Nov 22 18:23:07 UTC 2009

On 11/22/09 11:05 AM, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
> I hope people don't mind me asking for review of IETF drafts here.

Not at all.

> IETF VcardDAV Working Group is working on XML mapping for vcard. This is
> replacement for XEP-0054 (vcard-temp). I would appreciate if people can
> have a look at the draft and let me know if it seems reasonabel. The
> draft can be found here:
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardxml-01

I would dearly like to deprecate XEP-0054, because vcard-temp has been
"temp" for almost 10 years now! I think draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardxml is
not quite a replacement for XEP-0054 because it doesn't cover the XMPP
aspects (how to upload, modify, and retrieve vCards over XMPP) and it is
missing a few fields that we use (especially "JabberID"). So I think we
need to complete a gap analysis and define how we would map vcard-temp
to an XMPP extension that reuses draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardxml.

https://stpeter.im/