[Standards] XEP-0080 interoperability

Tuomas Koski koski.tuomas at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 19:14:37 UTC 2010

Hi Stephen,

On 8 April 2010 17:45, Stephen Pendleton <pendleto at movsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hello, I’ve been focusing on getting multiple implementations of XEP-0080
> (geolocation) enabled clients to be interoperable. This is easy to do using
> the PEP method described in XEP-0080, but is much more cloudy when using
> non-PEP pubsub. For example, if I wanted to publish my latitidue/longitude
> without using PEP, what node would I publish to?

Like recommended in http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0080.html#transport
you can use any Publish-Subscribe service. Basically you can publish
the data on any node you want. It's up to the implementation.

On 8 April 2010 17:45, Stephen Pendleton <pendleto at movsoftware.com> wrote:
>What node would I subscribe
> to? How would I find this node – using disco? What would I look for?

As described in http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0030.html#items-nodes
you could do the following:

Request:
<iq type='get'
   to='pamela at wagon.com/mobile'
   id='items'>
   <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#items'/>
</iq>

Reply:
<iq type='result'
   from='pamela at wagon.com/mobile'
   to='stephen at movsoftware.com/resource-a'
   id='items'>
   <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#items'>
      <item jid='somewhere.else.com'
         node='/geo_loc/pamela at wagon.com'
         name='Geolocation of Pamela Baywatch'/>
   </query>
</iq>

After you can request the services meta-data as explained in
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0060.html#entity-metadata , directly
discovering the items of the node as described in
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0060.html#entity-discoveritems or even
fetching: all http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0060.html#subscriber-retrieve

I hope this will get you started.

Cheers,