[Standards] XEP-0080 interoperability

Stephen Pendleton pendleto at movsoftware.com
Fri Apr 9 15:18:03 UTC 2010

>This is why PEP was invented.  It is intended to be pubsub for each
>user.  Discoverable, easy.

Right, PEP works well along with XEP-0080. However for certain applications
PEP is not a good fit. For example I may want to add additional ACL's beyond
what most roster PEP implementation give me or to subscribe to entities
geoloc without having them in my roster.

However, maybe I found my answer. Here is a sample subscription request
using pubsub:

<iq type='set'
    from='george at denmark.lit/barracks'
    to='pubsub.shakespeare.lit'
    id='sub1'>
    <subscribe
        node='http://jabber.org/protocol/geoloc'
        jid='francisco at denmark.lit'/>
  </pubsub>
</iq>

Would this subscribe George at denamrk.lit to francisco at denmark.lit geoloc
node? The pubsub XEP is not clear to me on this. In fact it says that in
6.1.3 that one of the reasons a subscription request may fail is "The bare
JID portions of the JIDs do not match". Which jids need to match? Is it the
<iq from> jid needs to match the <subscribe> jid? If so, how would I
subscribe to someone elses node, or are nodes globally named? If it is the
latter case I guess we would need something like:

<iq type='set'
    from='george at denmark.lit/barracks'
    to='pubsub.shakespeare.lit'
    id='sub1'>
    <subscribe
        node='http://jabber.org/protocol/geoloc/fransisco@denmark.lit'
        jid='george at denmark.lit'/>
  </pubsub>
</iq>

This means that in order to interoperate I would have to know somehow that
the node to subscribe to is
'http://jabber.org/protocol/geoloc/fransisco@denmark.lit'

Thanks