[Standards] XEP-0080 interoperability

Tuomas Koski koski.tuomas at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 22:31:00 UTC 2010

Hello,

On 9 April 2010 04:35, Stephen Pendleton <pendleto at movsoftware.com> wrote:
>>Like recommended in http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0080.html#transport
>>you can use any Publish-Subscribe service. Basically you can publish
>>the data on any node you want. It's up to the implementation.
>
> Yes, but how is that interoperable? I want my implementation to be
> interoperable with every other implementation out there.
>
>>Reply:
>><iq type='result'
>>   from='pamela at wagon.com/mobile'
>>   to='stephen at movsoftware.com/resource-a'
>>   id='items'>
>>   <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#items'>
>>      <item jid='somewhere.else.com'
>>         node='/geo_loc/pamela at wagon.com'
>>         name='Geolocation of Pamela Baywatch'/>
>>   </query>
>></iq>
>
> How do I know programmatically this is the geolocation node? Imagine two
> people each in separate rooms each attempting to create a XMPP application
> that will exchange XEP-0080 geoloc data (without using PEP). How would
> implementation A know which node implementation B publishes their
> geolocation data to?
>
> Maybe I am missing something in the pubsub spec that explains how this is
> discovered.

You don't think the
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0060.html#entity-metadata would be a
good solution?

Reaquest:
<iq type='get'
   to='somewhere.else.com'
   id='meta1'>
   <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info'
      node='/geo_loc/pamela at wagon.com'/>
</iq>

Reply:
<iq type='result'
   from='pubsub.shakespeare.lit'
   to='francisco at denmark.lit/barracks'
   id='meta1'>
   <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info'
      node='princely_musings'>
   <identity category='pubsub' type='leaf'/>
      <feature var='http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub'/>
      <x xmlns='jabber:x:data' type='result'>
         <field var='FORM_TYPE' type='hidden'>
            <value>http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#meta-data</value>
         </field>
         <field var='pubsub#type' label='Payload type' type='text-single'>
            <value>http://jabber.org/protocol/geoloc</value>
         </field>
         <field var='pubsub#title' label='A short name for the node'
type='text-single'>
         <value>Pamelas current position.</value>
         </field>
      </x>
   </query>
</iq>